FAQ for New Staff


Here is a list of commonly asked questions by new staff coming to Grace.

  • Do I need to have a teaching credential to teach at GIS?

    GIS operates under the authority of Thailand’s Ministry of Education and must follow Thai law regarding the teachers we invite. Thai law requires that all teachers have a degree in Education or a teaching credential from their home country.

  • Does Grace provide a salary, housing, or air fare allowance to teachers?

    No, GIS does not pay salaries or provide any financial compensation to foreign staff. Our purpose is to provide quality, low cost education to the children of Christian workers in Southeast Asia. To keep our tuition costs as low as possible, our foreign teachers and other foreign staff come as volunteers through sending agencies and raise 100% of their own financial support.

  • How do I find a Sending Organization?

    We recommend that you research organizations and select one with whose vision and mission you agree, and whose requirements you can meet. You may want to discuss this with your pastor. To find out more about sending organizations, read more on our Applying page

  • Will GIS help me find housing?

    The GIS recruiting office can help you find suitable housing. Your sending organization may also be involved in your search. Let us know if you would like our help, and what size and price range you have in mind, as we are often told of houses being vacated by families leaving the area. For more information about moving to Chiang Mai, see our Living in Chiang Mai page

  • Will I need a visa?

    Yes. Grace provides the information you need to obtain a visa, to live and work in Thailand.

  • If I am coming to live in Thailand, do I need to purchase round trip airline tickets?

    If you have been invited to teach at GIS and have been told to apply for a “Non-Immigrant, Type B” visa, then one way tickets are fine for you and your family.

  • What about medical insurance?

    GIS provides basic coverage to our full time teachers while in Thailand. (Some restrictions apply; please see “Health & Accident Insurance for GIS Expat Personnel” for more information.) Families can be covered at the teacher’s expense. Most sending organizations require their members and their families have medical insurance in their home countries.

  • What is the cost of tuition for my children to attend GIS?

    Tuition is waived for the children of full time teachers (up to three students). However, there are fees required. Go to the Admissions Tab for more information.

  • Do you have services for children with Special Needs?

    Yes. Read more on our Special Needs page

  • How should I dress to work at GIS?

    Because Thai culture values neatness and holds teachers in high esteem, GIS staff are urged to dress modestly and professionally. Men should wear collared shirts or polos. Women should wear non-denim skirts, capris, or pants/trousers; skirts should be knee-length or longer and sleeveless blouses should have wide straps and modest coverage.